20080618

I'm your man [serie "देवीमाहात्म्यम" (Glory of the Goddess) nº3; (Juno) versão 0.01]







Caprotina is an epithet of Juno in Her aspect as a fertility Goddess. As Juno Caprotina She is associated with goats (Latin
capra, "she-goat", caper, "he-goat") and with figs, both of which are symbolic of fertility: the fig fruit bears many seeds, and goats are well-known for their randiness. Her festival was called the Nonae Caprotina, or the "Nones of Caprotina", and it was exclusively celebrated by women, especially slave-women.

The milk-like sap of the fig tree connects it with fertility, both of Juno as the Mother Goddess—who was after all equated with the Greek Hera, whose spilled breast milk was said to have formed the Milky Way—and of goats themselves, who were often kept for milk (even now a bowl of goat's milk is a part of the traditional breakfast offered in Rome).

Juno Caprotina was usually depicted with goats, naturally enough: on one coin She rides a biga, a two "horse" chariot in this case drawn by a pair of goats; Her dress flows in the wind of Her speed and She holds what looks like a riding crop. On another coin, on which Her portrait is stamped, She wears a head-dress made of goat-hide, with the goat's head over Her own so that the horns are preserved in the back, and the lower jawline of the goat runs along Her own.

Alternate spelling: Capratina.*


















...Pleasently at first, then the glide would turn into falling, the falling into panic, and then she 'd wake up...**











If you want a lover I'll do anything you ask me to. And if you want another kind of love I'll wear a mask for you. If you want a partner Take my hand. Or if you want to strike me down in anger Here I stand I'm your man. If you want a boxer I will step into the ring for you. And if you want a doctor I'll examine every inch of you. If you want a driver Climb inside. Or if you want to take me for a ride You know you can I'm your man.

Ah, the moon's too bright, The chain's too tight, The beast won't go to sleep, I've been running through these promises to you, That I made and I could not keep. Ah but a man never got a woman back Not by begging on his knees. Or I'd crawl to you baby And I'd fall at your feet And I'd howl at your beauty Like a dog in heat And I'd claw at your heart And I'd tear at your sheet I'd say please, please I'm your man.

And if you've got to sleep A moment on the road I will steer for you. And if you want to work the street alone I'll disappear for you. If you want a father for your child Or only want to walk with me a while Across the sand I'm your man***.






The other major theme of the Nonae Caprotina was the ritual spiritual cleansing of the city: the fig was known in ancient times as a purgative, and thus associated with the driving out of evil (as both figs and fig-branches were used in the Greek rite of the Thargelia, when Athens was symbolically cleansed), so that the people and the crops might prosper. It may also connect to a symbolic driving out of enemies or bad spirits.*














------
textos: 1
*) http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/caprotina.html
2
**) narrador de "Until the End of The World", falando sobre Claire.
3
***.) "I'm your Man" (Leonard Cohen)

No comments: